COMPONENT OF THE
MABINI AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT IN PANGASINAN
1. The Mabini Agricultural Development Project is proposed to irrigate 11,500 hectares of irrigable lands in the Municipalities of Sual, Alaminos, Bani and Mabini, using a water impounding DAM at the foot of the Balincaguing River in Barangay De Guzman, Mabini, Pangasinan.
2. Aside for the dam, a 10 megawatt hydropower plant is included as a component.
3. Per Balincaguing River Basin Watershed Profile conducted by the Department of Environment and natural Resources ( DENR ) Balincaguing River has an approximate total length of 60 kilometers and has a drainage area of 406 square kilometers. Its tributaries originate from the areas of Infanta, Mabini, Dasol, sual and Labrador and drain towards the municipalities of Mabini, Burgos, and finally to Agno towards the China Sea.
4. On July 17, 1957, the worst flood happened in Mabini, Burgos, and Agno towns,including parts of Alaminos, all in Pangasinan. More than a thousand people died,aside from the livestock and produce that were destroyed, and properties of undeterminedvalue. It was worse than “ Sendong” that struck Mindanao. The flood waters were as high as the fruit bearing coconut trees and roofs of houses were all submerged. It was all thru a dam then in Mabini town. People cursed the flood, and NEVER AGAIN TO DAM.
5. Once the headwaters of Balincaguing River will be dammed, the lower tributaries of the river will be dammed as these will dry up and biodiversity thereat will be lost.
WE DO NOT NEED THE DAM.
6. In 1983, the Alaminos, Bani, Mabini, Sual Irrigation Projrct or ALABAMAS was introduced to the leaders of the First District of Pangasinan but it was vehemently OPPOSED because of the danger that it will bring to Mabini, and even to non – beneficiary towns of Burgos and Agno, as theirs will be the burden of flooding. The mabini Agricultural Development Project is all the same. It is the very ALABAMAS whose name was only changed to DECEIVE the people.
7. Climate change impacts has proven its toll. We will never allow that destructive flood to kill us and our loved ones. NEVER AGAIN TO THE MABINI DAM.
8. Per Geo hazard Map released by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, the mountains of Mabini near Brgy. De Guzman the proposed site of the dam are landslide prone, and the whole length of Balincaguing River and its tributaries are flood prone, with all reasons therefore that THE DAM IN MABINI MUST BE ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED.
9. WE STRONGLY OPPOSE THE PROPOSED DAM IN
MABINI, PANGASINAN .
10. Instead, we recommend the REHABILITATION, of Balincaguing River including reforestation of the watershed and, include its possible dredging to restore its original depth and carrying capacity, while at the same time restoring its biodiversity and ecosystem.
11. The funds could better be distributed to all the 211 barangays of the ten towns of the first District of pangasinan for the construction of Rain Water Collection System in each barangay as mandated by law and the Department of Interior and Local Government under the convergence program of the government.
WE APPEAL TO HIS EXCELLENCY, PRESIDENT SIMEON BENIGNO AQUINO 111, SECRETARY PROCESO ALCALA OF THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, SECRETARY FLORENCIO BUTCH ABAD TO HEED OUR CALL FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR LIVES AND PROPERTIES, AND BALANCED ECOSYSTEM.
Under oath, we affix our signatures to AFFIRM OUR OPPOSITION TO THE DAM IN MABINI, PANGASINAN.